Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Puritan Prayer.

Almighty God, as I start this day I commit myself, soul, body, tasks, friends, to You. Watch over, keep, guide, direct, sanctify, bless me. Make my heart at one with you. Mold me completely into the image of Jesus, like a potter molds clay. May my lips be a well-tuned instrument to sound Your praise. Let those around see me living by Your Spirit, trampling the world underfoot, refusing the lies of the world, transformed by a renewed mind, wearing the full amour of God, shining as an always burning light, showing holiness in everything I do.  Don’t let evil enter my thoughts, words or hands. May I travel the dusty roads of life clean from spot or stain. In everything I do let my affection be in heaven, and my love fly upwards in flames of fire, my gaze fixed on unseen things, my eyes open to the emptiness, fragility, mockery of earth and its pride. May I view all things in the mirror of eternity, waiting for the coming of my Lord, listening for the last trumpet call, finding hope in the new heaven and earth. Today order all my communications according to Your wisdom, and to the gain of mutual good. Don’t let me be used or use others. May I speak each word as if it was my last word, and walk each step as if it was my final one. If my life should end today, let this be my best day ever.

Can I get an amen?

1 comment: