Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Clothing With A Cause

A couple of weeks ago we had an overnighter with the junior highers.
The goal was to raise awareness among the teens about orphans and their plight.
(So we slept without blankets or pillows. 'twas a long (but worthwhile) night!
We gave the kids a lot of different options to actually do something to help.
You know, instead of just talking about it.

One of the options was to purchase shoes from Toms Shoes.
For every pair of shoes you buy, they give a brand new pair to an orphan.
Josh and I bought some :-)


We went with the color red. We figured, hey if we're going to do this, lets get a noticeable color so we can tell other people about it. They had lots of colors and cool designs though.


These are mine!


These are Josh's!

They are really comfortable and look great with jeans!


Check it out. A lot of our teens have purchased some, too, which is really exciting!

Something else I'm passionate about, is freeing women from the sex slave industry.
The best way to get involved locally is to purchase products made by women and young girls who have been set free and are in safe houses. The organization I love and support is WAR (Women at Risk) International. They teach women different trades so they can earn a living on their own. Recently, I went to a store in Rockford called "War Chest". Every bit of merchandise in the store is handmade by women who have been freed from slavery. They are beautiful pieces. Each one comes with information about the woman who made each piece.

I bought this scarf!


Isn't it lovely?


Blizzard, with my scarf.

Check out their website, and if you can support them in any way, please do! They are lovely gifts with a purpose. It is a worthy cause... rescuing women. I would love to own a store some day that only sold these products. That is definitely a dream of mine.


Oh and on a completely unrelated note, Houdini is sitting here right now and he says "Hi!"

2 comments:

  1. That scarf is beautiful. I want one! And tell Houdini I say hi back. I love the look on his face. It says "yeah, I am sitting here, so what?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shoes! Very functional as well. I have some exciting news not related to this post. I got picked to some youth ministry starting next fall. I will be working with eighth graders all year long as they prepared for the Catholic sacrament of confirmation. I'm very excited and would love to hear more about your experience and get any advice/ideas about how to be a successful mentor for these kids.

    ReplyDelete