Friday, January 29, 2010

Relational Truths and... my cats.







((Houdini, the adorable black ball of fur. Blizzard, only his head is showing in the corner. This picture was taken when we first found them))







Ok, go with me on this one... I had an epiphany last night concerning our two cats. We have Blizzard, who is the super outgoing, curious, fearless cat. We also have Houdini, who is scared of everything, always on edge, never quick to trust, always an arms length away from anyone (most of the time).

Last night, as Blizzard climbed all over me and Houdini sat (much to my dismay) on the other end of the couch, it really got me thinking. Blizzard was being annoying (and usually is any time I sit anywhere) as he was desperately pining for my affection. Climbing all over me. My book. My computer. It's really irritating at times. Because of it, I hardly ever pet him. It just seems like he is always there. Houdini, on the other hand, it seems like I am always going after that cat. I travel into the cold basement to coax him out. I use a high, sweet voice to set him at ease. I purposely walk on the other side of the room so as not to startle him if he looks frazzled. Josh and I give him treats. We hold him and pet him. We approach him slowly, tenderly so he doesn't run away. We want to be near this stinkin' cat! and yet... he is so distant. Only recently has he finally started warming up to us.

So like I said, it got me thinking. This is a very typical scenario for relationships. For example, if you are a guy and there is a girl who is all over you, always around you, incessently talking to you and desperate for your attention... it is highly unlikely that romance will bud. However, if there is a girl who has mystery, who has kept you at a distance, who doesn't feel the need to flaunt herself and isn't desperate for your attention... she is almost irresistible. Playing "hard to get" is almost always a sure bet that attention will follow. Now in a marriage setting, I think playing hard to get isn't the best idea. Sure, maintain mystery... but don't play games. However, in dating and courtship, it's a sure way to get someone's interest.


Now please excuse me, I haven't seen Houdini all morning and I want to go find him...


(Blizzard, of course, is rubbing his head on the corner of my computer screen)

6 comments:

  1. lol, your last sentence really made me laugh. Nice insight though, Les.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh. Your cats are sooo cute! And their names seem personality appropriate. Blizzard: snow covers everything and Houdini: can disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also-
    I'm thinking about buying a pre-made template for my blog on the same place that you did. How did it work? If you could let me know that would be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. wow. wow. Leslie, the last part of this screamed at me. no doubt I was meant to scroll & read updates from everyone [which I haven't done in months]. I've been going thru a 'seasonal rough patch' concerning dating, and I feel like you completely described me... the annoying one. ugh, haha. greaaaat. but realization has hit, and I'm going to be like Houdini. I feel like, I had been like him for so long, that no one noticed; but I think the right one will & all the wrong ones won't. so thanks for writing that. I take it, then, you played the mysterious part with Josh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, I bought a header. It's not fitting with any template that I've tried! I don't know if I should give up and just buy a full body + header. Right now, I really wish I had a techie friend to help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! And I put the title of my blog in through photoshop. If you can't figure it out, you can send me your header and font you want to me and I'll do it for you.

    ReplyDelete